Monday, July 11, 2016

Oceans Apart

"Oceans Apart"
Image Size 21" Diameter
Watercolor

This is a circular painting on a handmade piece of watercolor paper.  I bought a few of these papers several years ago.  I love the shape of the paper and the fact that it has a deckle edge.  These look wonderful when framed with the paper floated so that the edges show.  This paper doesn't have any sizing in it but I painted on it while it was saturated which seemed to work well.  I used some heavy sedimenting paints - Daniel Smith's Lunar Earth, Lunar Black and Lunar Blue and was hoping for some heavy textures but the effects are pretty subtle.  That could be because of the lack of sizing but I'm not sure.
I kept layering colors and created the design in the lower two thirds with a combination of cobalt turquoise, Titanium White, Lunar Earth and Ultramarine Blue while the paper was in varying degrees of wetness.

If you're not familiar with the "Lunar" colors from Daniel Smith, they have very heavy particles in the paints that settle into the texture of watercolor paper.  Any other colors you mix them with take on those characteristics and sometimes separate from the heavier particles which gives a beautiful effect.  Lunar Earth is my favorite of the Lunar colors.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is a beauty. Love the shape and all the colors as well as designs. Never heard of these colors so now got to try t find them. You always teach me so much Nancy. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is well Nelvia and I hope the same for you. You will love using these colors when you get them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails