Monday, September 28, 2015

Krazy Kitty

"Krazy Kitty"
Image Size 22" x 15"
Watercolor

No, I'm not a cat person and never thought I would paint a cat but I'm taking a workshop with Soon Y. Warren and this was one of the projects.  She is a wonderful watercolorist and is known for her beautiful still life paintings of crystal.  I'm working on one of those too but it's not finished yet.

For this painting, we poured a base from a combination of blue, red and yellow and once it dried, worked on the cat.  In this workshop, Soon actually paints on a person's painting so I can't claim that this is all my work but I did do a lot of it.  My colors in the original pour homogenized a bit too much and I lost some of the lights that I wanted to save but I'm still happy with the outcome.  Of course, if the subject was a dog instead of a cat, it would have been a much better painting.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,

    Well, I am a cat person and I just love your cat painting! It's wonderful! What a fun workshop, did you mask out the whiskers and fine lines? If so, what did you use to get them so fine? Great job! Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail, yes, I used resist. I applied it with a small brush (using a very light touch) that I dipped into soap first. It wreaks the brush even when I'm careful but I just used a cheap brush and assume I will only get a few uses out of it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nancy. I have tried a very small brush with soap but can't get lines as thin as yours. I use Pebeo resist. I'll have to keep trying! Thanks again.

      Delete
    3. I used Winsor Newton resist with the yellow coloring in it. It is a thicker resist than the Pebeo. I don't know if that makes a difference. I find that sometimes it's hard to remove the Pebeo resist if I've applied it in thin lines.

      Delete
  2. Lovin this cat portrait Nancy!! Loose and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool and interesting bCkground too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails