Monday, May 4, 2015

Mexico Surf

"Mexico Surf"
Image size 15" x 22"
Watercolor

I wanted to work on a saturated piece of paper for this and I could tell as soon as I wet it that the sizing was gone.  The paper looks translucent when wet if there is no sizing.  Since this has happened to a lot of my paper, I'm becoming used to working with this blotter-like paper.  The things that make it hard to work on are:  
* You can't blend colors because the paint soaks into the paper immediately 
* It's hard to get dark darks. 
* Color can't be lifted
This probably wasn't the best subject to pick having a paper with these limitations but I muddled through anyway.  It was actually fun because I went into this not expecting much.

I would have liked to have the look of some misty spray from the waves but that wasn't possible with this paper.

In this photo, you can see the ripples in the paper because I haven't flattened it yet.

I should probably buy some new paper to be sure that there is sizing in it (apparently the sizing degrades over time) but I have so much paper that I need to use first so I'll wait.  I hate to waste art supplies.  Also, I think working with this limitation is a good exercise and will force me to work differently which is a good way to grow.  I can always seal the paper to keep the paper from slurping up the paint but a sealed piece of paper has its own challenges and is also different from working on a piece of paper with sizing.  

6 comments:

  1. talk about challenging! You did an incredible job with this seascape Nancy!!i

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get such movement in your water, Nancy! I think it is always beautiful, lack of sizing in the paper or no. Look at that deep blue in the upstrokes of the waves...just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your water paintings, including this one. It's when we challenge ourselves to do something that "shouldn't be" that we learn so much. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nan. Yes, these challenges are good for us.

      Delete
  4. Dear Nancy-Would never know you had trouble with this paper-looks wonderful to me. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails