Monday, April 6, 2015

Slow Burn

"Slow Burn"
Image Size 35.5" x 48"
Acrylic

I felt like painting another large acrylic abstract and this is what I created.  I started with a base of blues, reds and a neutral and let that dry.  Then, I poured a mixture of gesso, water and matte medium and spread it randomly over the surface using a small piece of mat board to create a busy, abstract texture.  Where that mixture was thicker, it was an opaque white and where it was thin, the base colors showed through.  After that, I used thin veils of a neutral to tone down a lot of the background to make it recede and threw some white paint to create a feeling of energy.  That always makes me feel good - throwing paint is the best sort of therapy.  Then, I began adding my black and rust colors.  Once I got those areas looking the way I wanted, I added the white details. I mixed the white paint with a gloss medium so that it would be different from the matte finish of the rest of the painting, but that detail doesn't show up as much as I would have liked because the lines are so thin.

I'm very happy with the texture in this painting.  The reds and blues in the background are very subtle but add interest.  One of the things that I love about abstract paintings is that the longer you look at them, the more you see.  Sometimes, I think that can make them more interesting than representational paintings.  They sure are fun to paint.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to see this abstract in person. I really like the colors and the texture is beautiful! Wonderful work Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda. This is much better in person. The detail doesn't show well in this small photo.

      Delete
  2. I probably shouldn't say that I've never been a fan of abstract art but I do like when I see something in a piece that makes it less abstract to me. This one does that and adds a bit of a surreal air as well. How fabulously interesting! Love the palette! Want to know what I see? Remember the old telephone poles that had two (or sometimes three) cross bars? I see that...and the squiggles? Reminds me of lightening or electric shock waves...kind of a science fiction-y tip of the hat to progress run amok. Am I making sense? LoL This one gets my mind running! A true successful abstract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing what people see in abstract paintings. I can totally see what you are describing!

      Delete
  3. I have not tried the different additives but like the different textures you can get. I guess you learn how to use by your vision and trial and error. Saw this on FAA this morning. The colors are good Nd you achieved the movement too.
    Think I am set up with the other side of their house and will have to go set up under the annual rate after the initial free period, appears to be the much better option.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails