Monday, April 20, 2015

Pastel Hibuscus

Pastel Hibuscus
Image size 7" x 7"
Pastel

I haven't worked in pastels for a very long time, but I'm trying to finish up some of my paintings that have already been started and this is the one I picked to finish this week.  I started it a couple of years ago, but lost my motivation.  I'm not really painting flowers as much any more so I'm not sure my heart was really in this, but it does feel good to have finished it.

Pastel is such a fun medium and the look can vary from totally blended -which can look like an oil painting- to sketchy and gestural.  I usually prefer seeing the strokes but I had already started this with blending the pastels in the background so I continued that look there but made the flowers a bit more textural.  I like having both techniques in one painting.

6 comments:

  1. It is just truly a gorgeous painting, Nancy. I think it is cool that you are revisiting in-progress pieces and bringing them to completion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I work with and love pastels and this one is outstanding, Nancy.! I would love to paint flowers but really don't know how but maybe someday especially after seeing this....again...beautifully painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers are much easier to paint that portraits. You should try them as a subject Hilda.

      Delete
  3. Ah a woman of many talents. I love how you juggle your media. I know that you learn from one and take to the next. I agree with Hilda, this is nice work. I like the colors and I usually like the blended look,,but am trying to,get looser and more toward seeing some strokes. So I think you have the perfect balance of smooth where it is delicate and more textured where you want definition. Well done, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails