Monday, March 2, 2015

Peter's Canyon Encaustic

Peter's Canyon Encaustic
Image Size 7" x 5"
Encaustic

I combined encaustic with a little oil paint for this painting.  I have a lot to learn about this medium but am enjoying my experimentation with it.  I'm not crazy about the shape of this tree so I will probably try to change that tomorrow but for now, it's finished.  

I'm having problems with getting little pin holes in the wax.  Even if I get rid of them when I fuse the first layer, they seem to appear as I add and fuse more wax.  If anyone out there knows what is causing this, I would love to learn from you.  I am using encaustic gesso to prime my boards.  Maybe that is too porous and is causing the problem.  I think I will try an encaustic with no gesso and see what happens.

7 comments:

  1. I like the shape of the tree, Nancy! This is just lovely and brings to mind an early summer day... You might ask Robin Samiljan about the pinholes appearing in the wax medium. She's been doing encaustic for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. That's an excellent suggestion. I haven't visited her blog in awhile but I've always liked her work.

      Delete
  2. I too like the shape of the tree not traditional.. This just makes me want to take a hike in the woods. No Ideas for your pinholes, so be interested to see what the cause is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nelvia. If I find out what is causing the pinholes, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy - I got your blog url from Crimson Leaves! I am just starting to play with Encaustic, and I love it! I also love your piece, and the fact that you painted it first with oils. I'm discovering that collage is working well for me, but I'm going to try everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, thanks for stopping by. I'm going to go to your blog to see your work too. Encaustic is so much fun and I know you are going to continue to love it.

      Delete
    2. I also am experiencing pinholes and I am new to encaustic so while researching I found this article. Perhaps it can help both of us? https://hive-encaustic.com/tag/cold-wax-supports-2/

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails