Monday, February 23, 2015

Pear Family

Pear Family
Image Size 12" x 6"
Watercolor

I painted this on a saturated piece of paper.  It's fun to try to control the combination of water to paint when painting this way.  It's important to add less water and more paint as the paper begins to dry.  I put the paper on a piece of plexiglass while I was painting so the paper stayed super wet for a long time.  It's a challenge to keep adding paint without getting blooms from having too much water in the brush.  I've got a long way to go before I'll feel like I'm in control when painting this way.

When I wet this paper, I could tell that the sizing was gone.  The paper becomes translucent when wet if there is no sizing.  I didn't care about the lack of sizing because when the paper is saturated, it doesn't seem to matter if it's gone.  I like the fuzzy, ethereal look that this painting has because of the combination of wet paper and lack of sizing.

10 comments:

  1. How cool that you can embrace the lack of sizing! I like it too! And I must say I do learn so much from you. Love the almost candied look to the pears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. I need to embrace the lack of sizing in paper since I seem to have that problem so often.

      Delete
  2. Bonsoir chère amie,

    Ce trio de poires est magnifique. J'aime le volume charnu bien présent du fruit. Les couleurs sont sublimes.
    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy, like a lot the color in the shadows, and the way you get the sentiment look is just like the skin on pears. Looks like you have this under control to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nelvia. It's a fun process and very different than the way I usually paint with watercolors.

      Delete
  4. I love the fuzzy look as well... A BEAUTIFUL family Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very beautiful and they look so vivid!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails