Monday, January 19, 2015

Tornado Warning

Tornado Warning
Image Size 8" x 8"
Encaustic

        Being a California native and never having been anywhere near a tornado, I have no idea what the sky would look like before one hits.  Of course, I'm pretty sure the sky isn't this colorful but that's artistic license for you.   
Encaustics need to be applied to a surface that is porous.  I have a lot of 8" x 8" bisque tiles (unglazed) that I thought would be perfect as a support because they are certainly porous.  It was weird to work on this surface because for some reason, the wax in the middle would not move when heated and only the wax on the outside edges maintained its thickness.  The wax in the middle seemed to sink completely into the tile which is why it refused to move.  I continued to add a lot of wax and finally got it to do what I wanted.  I may try working on these tiles again (because I have so many) now that I know that working on them is a bit different.  I really like the end result and that's what's important, right?

12 comments:

  1. A lot of abstract beauty in this one, Nancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bold and powerful! Love the rich color. You are brave using the hot wax! Yes - please use these tile supports again - will be eager to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try it again. I think applying more wax is the answer.

      Delete
  3. Well actually you Ren't too far off on the sky. Being on tornado alley we see lots of opportunity for tornados, especially in the fall and spring, but for some reason now, maybe global warming all year round they can form. Lots of time there is green lightning and usually there could be hail as a precursor. I really like this and you don't see the struggle you are going through. Hmmmm as for the tiles I need a kitchen backsplash, how about a custom one once you get done painting them up? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that tornados are a problem in your area. How scary!

      Yeah, I don't think you would like a kitchen backsplash made of wax. I don't think that would hold up so well in that environment. However, I also paint on tiles with glazes and those last forever...... : )

      Delete
  4. I love this, Nancy! Very powerful and beautiful colors!
    You probably told us but do you frame this under glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda. Encaustics are not framed behind glass. One of the wonderful things about these paintings is that they are touchable. In fact, I encourage people to touch and polish them. This is a very tactile medium.

      Delete
  5. It makes me think of storm at sea and very beautiful and powerful colors, shapes and strokes! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so gorgeous! I wish I could paint like this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails