Monday, November 24, 2014

Colorful Trio

Colorful Trio
Image Size  12" x 18"
Watercolor

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a one day workshop with Jeanne Hyland.  It was really fun.  If you are looking for an informative, motivating workshop, I highly recommend her as a teacher.  She taught us how to work on a super saturated piece of paper.  Of course, she made it look really easy.  This painting is my attempt to use that technique on my own.  It was a lot harder than it seemed, watching her in her workshop.  As with all watercolor, it's a matter of the control of water vs. paint.  I've always had a problem with that.  It is the reason that watercolor is so challenging.  The challenge is also the reason that watercolor is such a delight.  I would be bored if painting with watercolor was easy.

I love the look of the soft edges that is achieved with this technique.  I need to use non-staining colors so that I can do some lifting in future paintings.  In this painting, my shadows crept into the background because my paints were too wet and since they were staining colors, I wasn't able to lift the paint.  Also, because my background was the white of the paper, there was less room for error.

I do like this painting overall even with the goobers.   I am excited to try this technique again.  I can see that a lot of trial and error will be necessary before I am able to master this technique.  Below is the painting that I did in Jeanne's workshop.  It was done from one of her reference photos. 

I don't think this is a good painting but I do like the soft edges and the color range within the flower.  



12 comments:

  1. The colors and light in the peppers is exquisite, Nancy. I too like those softer edges; lends an etherealness to the pieces that I really love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sherry. I will definitely be trying this technique again.

      Delete
  2. Your painting is beautiful Nancy. I love how the edges on the shadows are fuzzy! And the painting you did in Jeanne's workshop if really nice. I haven't worked on mine at all. I agree, Jeanne's workshop was wonderful and I know there are lots of watercolor artists out there that would love her classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. It was so nice meeting you in Jeanne's workshop. Thank you for checking in...

      Delete
  3. Nancy - your peppers are beautiful. Since I paint with watercolors as well I think it is so hard to get the right ratio of paint with water and do wet on wet. This is wonderful though. I like also the lovely painting of the cactus flower. Looks like you really enjoyed this technique. Take care and have a delightful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

      Delete
  4. Colorful trio is an excellent watercolor, Nancy. One thing I know...I could never paint with watercolors..lol
    however, I always enjoy seeing these paintings!!....love the shine on the veggies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda. I've no doubt that you would be able to paint with watercolor. You are an accomplished artist and I imagine that you would do well with any medium.

      Delete
  5. You got such nice variety of edges in both paintings. I've never tried working on super-saturated paper and imagine that would be quite a challenge. Nice pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the variance in the shadow color due to the color movement. Also the darks to lights are really smooth. Couple more and you will have the feel as you came far from your workshop piece. I do like the strong colors that you have. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. We saw snow and will be hoping that is all we see this winter. Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nelvia. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails