Monday, May 6, 2013

Cool and Cloudy

We don't usually have dramatic looking skies here in Southern California.  Most of our days are sunny and when we do get rain, we rarely get really cool looking clouds.  I have taken a lot of cloud pictures as I've traveled and now I want to do a series of paintings featuring the sky as the focal point.

Today is a rainy day (one of the few we've had this year) so it seems appropriate to post this painting.  Of course, our sky is just gray, but I can pretend that it looks like this one.  I'm just really happy that we are getting some much needed rain.  

This is painted on 300# Arches cold press paper.  I'm going to have to crop some of the top because of that annoying watermark that they use on their paper.  It's so maddening!  I do like the way this paper works for wet into wet painting though.  I soaked it and then played with the sky until I was happy with the result.  Then I let it dry before painting the ground and trees.  That small area was painted wet into wet also.

Cool and Cloudy
Image size 8" x 30"
Watercolor


9 comments:

  1. I admire you for being able to handle watercolor so masterfully. I really love the shape of this piece! It's such a novel, and effective look for a skyscape. I can't wait to see more cloud work! They are not easy to paint convincingly, and you have done exactly that! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katherine. These are so much fun to paint that I'm sure you will be seeing many more in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is so beautiful, Nancy. I love the format and how you concentrated on the beautiful sky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sky & clouds. You inspire me to do some cloud work now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a beautiful watercolor, Nancy! Love the sky...and glad you'll be doing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sherry, Nan and Hilda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderfully fun format on this lively piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you Diana.

    Thanks Deborah. I'm thinking of trying to paint some clouds in silk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails