Monday, October 1, 2012

Soft Yellow Clivias

What a fun week!  I attended a three day workshop with Karen Frey, an incredible watercolor artist and teacher.  I've always admired her work and been amazed by her control of water and paint in her paintings so I was thrilled to be able to learn from her.  Check out her website.  She's also a master in encaustics and works in a realistic style that I haven't seen any other encaustic artist achieve.

She's a little dynamo with a lot of knowledge to impart but her techniques will take me a lot of practice to master.  She made it look so easy but I know that comes from years of experience.  This was my painting that I worked on during the three days.  It's a lot looser (in the background) than I'm used to doing and I am really happy with the runs and softness in it.  I can't wait to try another painting using her techniques.  As I was finishing this at home, her voice was in my head coaching me and I hope I will still hear that as I'm painting my next painting.  Timing and the ratio of water to paint are very important to her technique.  There is so much to remember and I hope I can retain that as I paint in the future.

Soft Yellow Clivias
Image Size 15" x 22"
Watercolor

13 comments:

  1. To me, your description of Karen's work sounds like my own opinion of your work. The piece I have is so smooth and so sleek, so neat and clean that I thought it was a print! I love your watercolor style and wish I could mimic it myself! Off to see Karen's work too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sherry. You are always so nice in your comments about my work. You've made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be very happy with this piece, it's painted very well. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This painting of the yellow clivias is stunning in both design and paint quality.
    I enjoyed visiting Karen's site and seeing her work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy just discovered your blog. Your painting is so lovely. What a great priviledge I am sure to paint with Karen Frey. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful week and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Debbie. I'm glad you found my blog and I'm going to check your blog out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It came out just beautiful! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful painting!!! Your work is always amazing. I absolutely loved the video below. It is fascinating to see the painting progress. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Joan, and I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome, I would have love to take it with you!! Call me next time, love love this piece

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Desiree. Next time I take a workshop, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails