Monday, February 6, 2012

Descanso's Gate

If you live in Southern California, maybe you've visited Descanso Gardens in La Canada/Flintridge.  That is where I took the reference photo for this pastel painting.  If you haven't been there and have a chance to go, it's worth the trip.  It's about 160 acres and has about 1000 California Coastal Oaks in a forest with huge camillias growing beneath them.  There is also a rose garden, lilac garden, koi pond, Japanese garden and tea house, art gallery, gift shop, a cafe, classes and so much more.  I've been there at different times of the year and I don't think I have a favorite (there are always so many things in bloom) but this year I think I might go in March for the Cherry Blossom Festival.

Descanso's Gate
Image Size 7" x 10"
Pastel

12 comments:

  1. This is really lovely! Beautiful technique, Nancy! I really like how the gate is open and invites the eye to wander further back into the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of gate it would be nigh unto impossible not to walk through! So inviting. I love viney twisted branches and trunks and intertwine them with flowers and begin to make a natural arch? Sigh...Nature at its most beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has great composition, Nancy!
    Enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this painting, Nancy!! Those flowers are so beautifully painted!! Love the gate with the wonderful shadows! OKAY! I think this is my favorite of yours (for now!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dean.

    Hilda, that's high praise coming from such an accomplished pastel artist. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the painting Nancy. It has such a wonderful feel to it and is so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A garden gate with flowers, a Tuscan landscape, and a vineyard...I'm in heaven! Lovely pastels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Nancy..The painting looks soft and lovely. Love your recent posts..esp. your reference painting Birds of paradise from Mexico..where did you go in Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Page, We were in Manzanillo then went to San Miquel de Allende and Tlaque Paque.

    Thank you Karen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails