Monday, August 30, 2010

Pink Pink Pink


I love Hollyhocks but haven't planted them in my yard for a while because the leaves always get rust and they don't look very good so I decided to paint them instead.  I used Ampersand Aquabord because it always makes the paintings sparkle.  The paint sits on the surface and the white reflects through the color  very strongly.  I hadn't worked on any aquabord larger than 5" x 5" in the past and this one is 11" x 14" which was a little more challenging.  It's hard (for me) to get smooth washes on larger areas so painting the blue sky was frustrating at first but I finally got it to look the way I wanted. The color is not smooth but I like the texture.  It's also easy to lift color and play with the color values on the aquabord.

I had to let this painting sit for a few weeks because it was looking really "sweet".  I have that problem when I paint pink flowers and blue sky.  The flowers were a very cool pink so I added some warmer pinks and crimsons to take some of the "sweetness" out of it.  I'm happy with it now.

Even though this is a watercolor, I have varnished it with a UV protecting varnish and it can be framed without glass.

Pink Pink Pink
Image Size 11" x 14"
Watercolor
Unframed
$160.00

16 comments:

  1. This works very well and is a beautiful painting, I love the receding flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting, the colors are so soft and romantic:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful Nancy. Love how you faded the background stems into the background - gives lots of depth. And the foreground flowers have just the right amount of detail. Color is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly beautiful, Nancy! I think every thing you do is touched with magic. And yep, the addition of the reds and deeper pinks help to add some realism, I think. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do love hollyhocks. Nice job Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, another incredibly beautiful floral!I have never tried varnishing a watercolor, or using aquabord; does it change the color at all? Do you still use a mat around the painting? Do you prefer painting on board now? so many questions, from one watercolor painter to another, I hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the wonderful comments. And Robin, the varnish doesn't change the colors at all. After that is done, I frame it as I would an acrylic or oil. No mat board, just the frame. Of course, I might decide that I like the look of a mat board and then I would frame it behind glass. I like to varnish the aquabord either way so that if it accidently gets wet, the paint won't be disturbed.

    You should try the aquabord. It's really fun to experiment with and I will probably continue to use it but I can't see it replacing my paintings on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I am not a floral painter but you certainly make me want to paint flowers. Yours are so lovely and rich. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Leslie. You should try painting some flowers. After the complicated subjects that you paint, flowers would be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the textured sky is much more interesting than the smooth color you were initially going for. I like the sense of depth you got between the flowers (beautifully painted) and more distant stems.

    I agree - painted flowers are so much easier to care for than real ones! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that the sky is more interesting Deborah. So many times what we think we want isn't the best thing. That's one of the reasons I like to experiment with new surfaces. It keeps me from staying safe in my painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Nancy! Thank you for your visit. Oh! I love your flowers! You are a terrific painter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pink if everyones favorite color right? I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully capturing the light, the color palette is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails