Monday, July 5, 2010

Alaska Peaks

Jerry and I just got back from a cruise to Alaska to celebrate our 26th anniversary. I think Alaska is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been. Being from Southern California, I'm not used to seeing huge expanses of green trees in every direction along with wildlife and lots of rivers and lakes. We spent 3 days after the cruise in Vancouver, Canada which is equally beautiful. I finally got to see Buchart gardens in Victoria which has always been on my list of must see places. By the time we came home, my brain was on beauty overload. I took almost 1000 pictures so you will probably be seeing a lot of greenery in my paintings in the near future.

We didn't get home until Saturday so I decided that my painting this week should be small. The colors in this painting are very different from my preferred bright colors but I wanted to capture the feeling of the coldness. Actually, it was in the high 50's but to me, that was cold. I've been admiring palette knife paintings done by other artists so I thought I would try one. Being a control freak, I wasn't sure I would like it because I love to work a painting to death with detail but I had so much fun, I can't wait to do another one. The experience was a cross between doing a home improvement project with drywall compound and frosting a cake. Right now, I'd rather have a cake as a finished project than a painting. Cake is the perfect food group and I would really be happy if one was in front of me because I'm rather hungry.

Alaska Peaks
Image Size 6" x 6"
Oil
Unframed, gallery wrapped canvas with painted sides, no frame needed
$100.00








8 comments:

  1. I am not sure why, Nancy, but I think this is my new favorite NG piece. You've indeed captured that coolness of the PNW and you've done it beautifully. I've not been to Alaska, though I've always wanted to go. So happy you got to do something so fun and so beautiful for your anniversary. I just love the palette and minimal composition to this piece. I think it just accentuates the beauty of the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I love this!! What a fun way to do a painting. I have also admired paintings using this technique. Let's see some more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sherry, I like the minimal look too. That's very different for me because I'm so literal but maybe it's a new direction for me.
    Thanks Kimmie, I will definitely try this technique some more. Next time you're here, I'll get you working on one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just dying to go on an Alaskan cruise! I like the cool colors and lack of detail in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with the palette knife! Looking forward to more of your Alaska-inspired pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous painting Nancy, love what you've done with the knife. You need to do more, definitely. The colors are so soothing.

    And I am so jealous - an Alaskan cruise is on my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rosemary, I'm already working on one.

    Thanks Nancie. You should put Alaska at the top of your list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails